A motion calls for either a stop in the Limestone City or they will pull back their support for the project.
It's Kingston or bust.
That is essentially what the message in a motion from Mayor Bryan Paterson that was passed at Tuesday's City Council meeting regarding having a stop in Kingston on the Alto high-speed rail line.
It reads that the city is supportive of the southern route if there is a stop in Kingston. It also mentions that they will not support the project if any route by-passes the city.
Paterson says they wanted to send a clear message to both Alto and the federal government.
Earlier in the meeting, there was a delegation by Pierre-Yves Boivin, Alto's Chief Communications and Engagement Officer, and Peter Paz, the company's Senior Director, Government and Public Relations for Ontario. They delivered an update on where they are in the project.
Neither Boivin or Paz stated their reason for coming to Council since the original route is approximately 100 kilometres north of the city. Both declined to speak to the media after their presentation.
Paterson believes their appearance at Council is an indication that Alto is looking into Kingston as a potential stop.
There were some concerns from Councillors on the motion, mostly about how it is worded.
Cllr Conny Glenn believes it leaves an impression that it approves the line being located in nearby South Frontenac which rejected the idea of the line going through their township. Cllr Jeff McLaren says there is nothing in the motion to indicate that the route be built along the 416/401 corridor.
Both Councillors asked for a deferral of the motion but that was defeated.
Paterson says there are more steps that need to be taken in order to ensure their desire to have a stop in Kingston is heard.
As part of the motion, a copy will be distributed to Prime Minister Mark Carney, Transport Minister Steve MacKinnon, Alto President Martin Imbleau, Kingston and the Islands MP Mark Gerretsen, Lanark-Frontenac MP Scott Reid, Kingston and the Islands MPP Ted Hsu, Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston MPP John Jordan, Hastings - Lennox and Addington MPP Ric Breese, South Frontenac Mayor Ron Vandewal, the Eastern Ontario Mayors' Caucus, and the Eastern Ontario Wardens' Caucus.
Story by Ken Hashizume
Alto open house well-attended in South Frontenac
Kingston marks 13 years of Give 30 as hunger crisis deepens during Ramadan
Kingston resident charged in Gananoque assault
Kingston eyes future waterfront vision after buying Lemoine Point Farm
Don Cherry to receive Order of Ontario

